We’ve all seen those romantic movies where a character reads a heartfelt love letter they’ve received from the object of their affection. We have marveled at the words that seem to penetrate their inner cores and evoke our desire to have that same kind of love. Some of us have it, but how can we express it? A love letter is one of the simplest, most thoughtful ways to show love. So, let’s say you want to write a love letter, where do you start?
1. Think about the person you are writing to and picture them in your mind. Having that visual will help to focus your thoughts.
2. Jot down a quick list of what you love about them and refer to it as you are writing the letter.
3. Gather your supplies. Even though we live in an email ensconced society, a love letter should be hand-written for a personal touch.
4. Date the letter. It will likely be something that your loved one will treasure and keep, and it’s always nice to be able to chronicle your relationship and show love over time.
5. Include your significant others’ name in the opening of the letter. It shows how special they are to you and helps personalize your letter.
6. As you write the body of the letter, say exactly how you feel. Nothing is too corny in a love letter. You should not hold anything back; pour out your feelings.
7. Be specific. If there are certain things you love about your partner, elaborate on them. If you like how they treat you, give concrete examples.
8. End the letter with a sweet sentiment. It could be a simple “I love you.”
9. Sign your name. It is always a nice touch to include a closing (e.g. Love always, forever yours, etc.)
10. Read over what you have written and make sure that you captured all of the important points from your quick list. You should also proofread for grammar and spelling, and rewrite the letter if needed to correct errors.
With these ten steps, you are well on your way to crafting an expression that will show love, which your partner will cherish for years to come.