The dreamy courtships of fairy tales and romance novels are nice to imagine, but anyone who has spent time in the dating scene knows that real love does not happen so easily. We have to work to find someone we can comfortably spend the rest of our lives with. The following is a list of ten ways to open yourself up to love, so that when the time comes you will be ready to embrace it.
1. Love yourself: You cannot expect someone else to love you until you love yourself. People who are comfortable in their own skin are more attractive in the eyes of the opposite sex.
2. Be confident: Spend some time thinking about your good qualities and reminding yourself why you are a great potential mate for the right person.
3. Embrace vulnerability: We all build emotional walls to protect us from heartbreak, but they must come down if we are to share our hearts with others.
4. Know what you want: If you clarify your expectations, you will be able to narrow the field of potential mates to those who can meet your needs.
5. Let go of baggage: Negative experiences from past relationships have a tendency to weigh us down. Treat those experiences as lessons learned, rather than regrets.
6. Be optimistic: A half-full glass is easier to top off than a half-empty one. If you expect to find love, you will.
7. Establish trust: When you meet someone that has the potential of being a long term partner, be honest right from the start.
8. Compatibility, not perfection: You are not perfect, and neither is your love interest. Be aware of what makes that person a good fit, rather than focusing on their imperfections.
9. Holistic health: When we think of love, we think of emotions, but in order to be emotionally and mentally healthy, we must take care of our bodies too.
10. Follow your heart: Don’t let the love of your life slip through your fingers. When you find your mate, your heart will tell you its right. Listen to it.