The world in which we live is beautiful; both the places and the people. Vast landscapes and culture join together to create the spectacular world we live in and love. The world needs love, too. Here are ten ways we can show love:
1. Replenish the earth. Humans have done our fair share of damage to the earth, so it is only right that we show love by helping to restore some of what we have taken. Plant a tree or reuse collected rainwater to water your garden.
2. Conserve water. Turn off the faucet while you are brushing your teeth. Use the appropriate water levels when washing clothes. Wash your car and water your lawn only when needed. Water is an increasingly scarce resource that we need to protect.
3. Recycle. It only takes a moment to put a plastic water bottle in a recycle bin, but the positive impacts for our world are long lasting.
4. Reduce your carbon footprint. Ride a bike or walk instead of driving to nearby places. Buy energy efficient appliances. You may even consider buying an electric vehicle.
5. Reuse. To minimize waste, find alternate uses for things once their initial purpose is fulfilled. Use grocery bags for trash, and old shirts as dust rags.
6. Respect our differences. People across the world show the diversity and richness of our cultures. These differences are what make this world so great; embrace them.
7. Learn about other cultures. Don’t be afraid to leave the comfort zones of your own culture. Research and visit other countries, traditions and heritages.
8. Get involved. There are numerous causes around the world where we can give back and lend a helping hand. We can show love through political, environmental, or social volunteer activities.
9. Take it all in. We have heard the phrase “take time to smell the roses.” Even in the midst of chaos, we should take time to slow down and appreciate the majestic pieces of nature – small and large.
10. Defend the animals. We share the world with many species of animals, which we need to retain balance on our planet. To show respect for animals, we can ensure they are treated ethically, reduce water pollution, reduce hunting and not litter.
As citizens of the world, we should show our appreciation for it. More often than not, we take for granted what we have. It is up to each of us to make a conscious effort to respect and cherish our world.
There is no shortage of suffering in the world. Around the globe, millions of people are in need of the basics for life. There are many ways to show love to the world, and many organizations that do just that.
Food for the Poor (http://www.foodforthepoor.org)
This Christian-based organization fights poverty while providing emergency relief, food, housing, healthcare, education, water projects, and micro-enterprise assistance to people in the Caribbean and Latin America.
Curamericas Global (http://www.curamericas.org)
Partnering with underserved communities in the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa, they aid improved health and well-being. They do this by caring for mothers and children through prevention and treatment of malnutrition, pneumonia and complications from childbirth.
Opportunity International (http://www.opportunity.org)
With a Christian commitment to serve the poor, this nonprofit sees small business loans as a way to empower people. They offer microfinance loans, savings, insurance and training to help people in over 20 developing countries work their way out of poverty.
Malaria No More (http://www.malarianomore.org)
Determined to end malaria deaths in Africa by 2015, this organization invests in raising global awareness; training and rallying local leadership; and providing the tools needed to prevent, diagnose and treat the disease.
Addressing the world’s number one health problem, this US based nonprofit is committed to providing access to safe drinking water and sanitation to the nearly billion people in developing countries. They do this by forming “water partnerships” with donors, staff, and the people in the affected communities.
The Village of Hope (http://www.thevillageofhope.com)
This Village exists in Ghana, West Africa, to care for and nurture orphaned, needy children by providing homes, healthcare services, and an excellent education so they can become the leader of tomorrow.
An alliance of 15 organizations working together in 98 countries, Oxfam provides emergency assistance and long term programs aiming to end poverty and injustice in a variety of ways.
International Justice Mission (http://www.ijm.org)
This human rights agency rescues and provides aftercare for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and violent oppression in Asia, Africa and Latin America. They seek appropriate action against the perpetrators and ensure the justice systems effectively protect the poor.
Doctors Without Borders (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org)
Dedicated to helping people whose lives are threatened by violence, disease or natural disasters, they provide independent, impartial medical assistance and humanitarian care in more than 60 countries.
Friends of the Earth (http://www.foe.org)
Aspiring to create a more healthy and just world, this federation of grassroots groups fights to protect the rights of all people in the world to live in a safe and healthy environment.
Show love to the world by helping one of these worthy organizations.